Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 3- 31 Days of Halloween: Bleeding Heart

Welcome to Day 3! Today for my 31 Days of Halloween project I decided to show you something a little more on the creepy side. Although the stamping techniques are super simple, the layout and elements really make this project pop!

I decided I wanted to use my Quoth The Raven set from Smeared Ink. I started with a small square frame that I had stashed and distressed it a bit with ink; then stamped some background in the bottom left corner (hard to see in the pic) using black stazon. I tea dyed some cheesecloth to make it look old and brittle, and draped it around my frame.



The center anatomical heart was simply stamped with stazon and then aged using Tim Holtz distress ink, no coloring involved. I splashed it with some water to give it the effect that you see.



After adding my main image to the frame, I embellished with nails and black hemp rope. Then I decided to make my heart "bleed". Do you like my gooey drops? I got the effect by using hot glue and then painting with deep red nail polish. The hemp on the right side is meant to look like stitches with a bit of oozing.



Finally, I stamped my word "Scary" from Lonely Boy and Puff onto a scrap piece of cotton, and dyed with distress ink and water. I attached with a brad, and voila! A really simple project that will look great with all my other scary decorations. I think I will make a few more of these small frames to go together as a cohesive collection, so you may see some similar ones later in the month.

I hope you enjoy my kinda grotesque experiment, and that you are also having a blast hopping through all the 31 Days projects! I know I've seen inspiration galore and can't wait to try some of the ideas from our Wicked Blog participants!!

Don't forget that there will be prizes throughout the month, and you never know when or where it will be, so be sure to keep a lookout on all the blogs! If you need a refresher on the rules and how to win, you can find them HERE. Now off you go to check out all of the Day 3 projects! Have fun!

18 comments:

  1. Love the dripping blood and the cheesecloth. Great attention to detail - this is wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serioulsy Fabulous Terra!!! The cheesecloth idea is inspired!! Not gross to me!! I love using anatomy in my projects! I'd keep it up all year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terra, that is great! I love the blood idea.
    Shelley :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Terra this is fantastic the heart and blood looks awesome
    Luv Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap, Terra! this is sooo frickin' COOL! That cheesecloth looks like it came off a mummy or something and the BLOOD is PERFECT! I LOVE THIS HOP! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously ROCKIN Terra! I can't believe you painted that with nail polish and didn't end up with globs on the side. WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that is wicked! You are truly talented woman! nail polish? sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay! Now this is just too effin' cool and twisted! LOOOOOVVVVVVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy galore! Fab idea for the dripping blood :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do I begin with this? The whole project is just so perfect. All the little elements.. the cheese cloth, the dripping blood, that fantastic heart stamp with some amazing distressing and the metal work all stitched up to perfection. Thankyou Terra
    H x

    ReplyDelete
  11. perfect picture!!!! love the hot glue effect, wonderful coloring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love this! I want one in my house so bad! I love the dripping blood!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome!!! I really need to find time to make some projects like this...because after seeing yours, I NEED to do it! Love the blood- great idea! The stitches are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your dripping blood & oozing stitches! My hubby would love this!!

    Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ~Ola
    okj83 at live dot com
    zloe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete