Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 16- 31 Days of Halloween: Black Death Necklace

Ok, you will have to bear with me for this post... I am extremely exhausted right now so I may start rambling at any given moment. Plus I was not able to get any really good photos of my project because I didn't have someone else to hold the camera. So I hope you'll be able to see it well.

Before we go any further, I just want to let you know that there is a pack of werewolves that have been spotted running ramped through blog land, and they may have taken refuge on one of the wicked blogs. If you happen to see sign of them hiding anywhere, don't approach them, just please email me. Those of you who spot them will be put into a drawing for the Smeared Ink Hungry Wolf and Transforming Wolf digi images! I will announce the winner tomorrow afternoon.

Now on to my project for day 16. There is minimal, and I mean minimal, stamping technique on this. But, I thought it would be cool to show you how you can incorporate stamping in a neat way into your jewelry. I don't know if you've seen these things in the beading section at your local craft store, but I saw them today and completely broke my no-buying-anything rule for 31 Days. Sorry folks, I had to have them! But, in my defense, this necklace will be given as a Christmas present so technically even though it's a Halloween project, it came out of my Christmas budget and is not "for" 31 Days. Yes, I'm still trying to justify. Oh well, I digress...

The things I am talking about are these little latched/hinged frames. Not the ones that are for memory glass...no, these bad boys are cut from a different cloth! You'll see what I mean in the pics (I hope). But basically they are frames with glass in them that you can add your own picture to. The neat thing about them is the little latches that hold them shut, and the fact that some of them are hinged to open, like the round one that I used.

Anyways, I basically made a necklace from scratch. I really love the look of wonky, super big and bold jewelry, so although this necklace may not be to some of your liking, I would wear it in a heartbeat!



*click for larger views








Like I said, the pictures kinda suck, but you can see my little frame things. I was inspired by Alison and rather than filling the frames with full-blown colored images, I simply stamped on transparency, trimmed to size, and inserted the images. It gives a really cool clear effect that I love on the necklace! My large frame holds a skull from As Death and the small square frames hold spiderwebs from Lonely Boy and Puff (both from Smeared Ink).

So, I hope you like it, and even though the stamping is very easy, it still took me several hours to make with all the beading. Now I know why I don't make jewelry very often! Ha ha! Have fun hopping through the Wicked Blogs today. See you tomorrow!

19 comments:

  1. Yay! I love that I inspired you! ANd this necklace is AWESOME! I would wear it in a heatbeat too!!! It is fantastic! And those frames are incredible! Great work, Terra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GURL!!!! you know I would wear that in a heartbeat!!! You prolly know that I have my chains linking together as we speak!!! Yes you have inspired me, but it was already in the works!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would I wear it? OH HELL YEAH! I LOVE this!! The different chains, the fab pendant with the transparency, OMG it's totally fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! This is soooo cool! You've gotta spill where you got those frames! At least the manufacturer. How FAB are they!? xxD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE it Terra! I love everything about it and the transparent images are fabulous! WOW!!! Someone is going to have the BEST Christmas when they receive this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful job! whoever is getting this for christmas is going to love it!!! faboulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome necklace, I would totaly wear that. i love all the bearding and the whole design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this necklace! Great find on those little frames, I'm going to have to start going down the bead aisle now. And using the transparencies in them to stamp the images on... wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found some of those latchy thingsys on etsy the other day! I looked up jewelry and found FancyMuse who had all shapes of these- never thought of rubbar stamps with them! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing, I love unusual necklaces

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW .. looks like you're going to have to bulk buy those frames and sell them on so we can all have a go... or have you make them. Absolutely GORgeous
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic a beautiful piece of art work
    Luv Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. omfg I would so wear this!! I love it!!!! I may have to have you make me one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this necklace is awesome and I too would wear it in a heartbeat! I love that the images are transparent great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh! It's awesome!!! I wish I knew how to do that.... The necklace is AWESOME! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd agree that that necklace is freakin amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a fantastic neckless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete