Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 2- 31 Days of Halloween: Skeleton King Box

Thanks for visiting on Day 2! Today my project is an altered box that sorta matches my countdown calendar that I showed you yesterday. I used the same scrap papers and colors, and actually this was made before the calendar and is what inspired the coloring. I am entering this one into the Simply Betty Challenge 12 Days of Halloween - Day 1, which was to incorporate a skeleton into your project.

I started with one of those really cute and sturdy boxes that jar candles come in; this one I found at Target. The bonus is that after I took out my candle to use, the box still smells like it! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bamboo Juniper, I'll get to enjoy the scent every time I open it up...

*click for larger views


A coat of paint went down first, and then I cut my scraps of paper to fit each side and top. I used inks to distress and age the box (after paint dried) and papers, and then once again stamped with my crosshatch stamp from Quoth The Raven (Smeared Ink). I attached the papers to the top and sides of the box and modge podged. For the bottom of the box, I distressed and stamped with the spider web from Lonely Boy and Puff, then also covered in modge podge.

My main images come from our As Death stamp set, and features a great scene of a skeleton king hypnotizing his subjects...or maybe he's cursing them, who knows. But I love the image! Because it is slightly bigger than the sides of my box, I stamped each image a little off to one side every time so it looks like the pic is panning from left to right as you turn the box to see the four images.



I distressed these images as well, and then modge podged them to the sides of the box. Finally, I decided to make my life difficult by punching holes up each side of the box with my awl and stitching all the way up with black embroidery floss. Not only was it difficult, but I slipped and drove my awl half way into my finger. Ouch!!!! Oh well, sacrifice to the skeleton king I guess!



So, that's it. This guy will be going on my mantle with other skeleton goodness once I lug out all of my Halloween decorations, maybe this weekend. Eventually I'll share a pic of my house all done up; probaby toward the end of the month when I'm done with all my projects. Until then, have fun hopping through the Wicked Blogs today, and don't forget to leave a comment if you're a Horrifying Hopper. If you need a refresher on the 31 Days Rules, scroll down two posts and read all about it. See you tomorrow!!

19 comments:

  1. this box is so cool! I'm sure it smells great too! sorry about your finger...you are so inspiring I enjoy coming to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Terra! This is absolutely FABULOUS! You sure are a glutton for punishment with that awl, but the details are so totally worth it! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a way to make the sacrifice lol..
    very creative and beautiful! Great box!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terra, that is beautiful! I love it!
    Shelley :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great box! Great repurposing! I love that it coordinates with your project from yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Terra! This box is fabulous!! I am gaining new appreciation for images I hadn't really noticed before on you sets! How have I missed so many of these?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That box is fab x1million!!! I LOVE it! As death looks like an awesome halloween set!! Sorry about your finger!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the finger wasn't long healing. You have created yet another masterpiece here. Amazing. I guess I know where next months pennies are going lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is totally wicked cool!!! I love it! I so want that set!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous box, sorry you hurt yourself, but, if it's any consolation, the lacing really looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, that box is just freakin' amazing! I happen to have one of those candle boxes, I can only hope I can alter mine as cool as you've done yours. Fabulous art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Terra Your box is fantastic I love it hope your finger is getting better
    Luv Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy Crow! This is absolutely fabulous! I love all the details you put it! This just blows me away, gurl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! That box is amazing. Such detail - I'm so glad I found you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sometimes art is pain :), love this box, wonderful job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the leather laced look witht he images moving. Can't wait to see it with all of your decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic idea to alter the candle box, I think I have one of those around here somewhere. Love how distressed and old it looks, and the stitching is fab, sorry to hear about the injury.... the things we go thru for art :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this box! Sorry about the injury, but the stitching definitely looks amazing!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ~Ola
    okj83 at live dot com
    zloe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete