Monday, September 21, 2009

Altered Monday- Butterfly in Bronze

Welcome to a brand new week, and a new Altered Monday post on Smeared and Smudged. A couple weeks back I had a little shopping splurge at Michael's $1 spot; they had alot of tiny items priced at 39 cents, 49 cents...you get the picture. I found some large and flat circle magnets and decided to buy a couple. They were decorated with scenes of country houses, apples, and sunflowers. Anyone who knows me (or follows this blog) probably suspects that country is not my style, and you're right! I HAD to alter!

I have one of them done and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the result. This is one of a handful of projects where I have stamped into clay, and I'm loving it more each time I do it. I started off by covering the whole magnet with a coat of bronzy-colored nail poish. This was easier than using paint because the magnet was very slick, so the polish adhered better and gave it a cool shimmer. Then I rolled out some super sculpey and stamped wing images into it. The images are from The Enchanted Gallery.

After preheating the oven, I rolled some aluminum foil into an egg shape and used it to place my cut out wings over so they would bake with some shape to them. I followed the intructions on the box for baking, let the wings cool, and then painted with acrylics.

To embellish the butterfly I used some old beads that I've been hanging on to, a broken necklace, and some bronze wire. I stuck the butterfly to the magnet using really REALLY strong glue, E600. And here's the result:







The magnet is pretty simple as far as the amount of stuff on it, but I think it's beautiful! I enjoyed making it and will be altering the other two magnets soon in a similar way; I'll share when I'm done.

Thanks for looking, and don't forget to join me tomorrow for the Twisted Tuesday Materials Challenge!

1 comment:

  1. sweet! I also picked up some of those so I will have to try something on my own.

    ReplyDelete